Here at learn facts about vitamins we will be taking a look at the vitamins needed in the body, and at the benefits of having the right amount.
We will also take a look at the symptoms of deficiency and what diseases might need more of a certain vitamin and why.
Some classic ‘deficiency diseases and symptoms’ may be a simple case of the inadequate nutrition leading to inadequate vitamins in your body.
- A Vitamin is a substance which is essential in the body for the metabolic functions
- Some are also antioxidants, which help protect cell damage and stop degeneration of some diseases
- There are 13 vitamins – A, D, E and K (fat soluble) and eight B vitamins and C (Water soluble)
- Fat soluble vitamins retained in body for long periods, water soluble ones are excreted quickly so need to be replenished
- The body can make vitamins D and K, the rest cannot be made in body and must come from good nutrition or supplements