Vitamin K Overdose

It is quite difficult to take an overdose of Vitamin K. The exception to this is if you indulge in taking massive doses of this vitamin. There does seem to be a new trend of people who increase their vitamin levels by the use of supplements, rather than from their natural sources, which is healthy food. One of the major reasons Vitamin K is taken as a supplement is to prevent osteopenia and osteoporosis.


There are no known records of toxicity levels in resect of an overdose of Vitamin K. This vitamin is tolerated very well by the body, even at very high levels.


Vitamin K can react with other drugs and some vitamins and minerals

  • Those who are taking anticoagulant medication such as Warfarin (also known as Coumadin) are advised not to take a supplement of Vitamin K, as it renders this drug ineffective and thus increases the risk of blood clots.
  • Vitamin K is also known to react with some weight loss medications. 
  • If you are a long term user of antacids, they may interfere with the effects of Vitamin K in the body.
  • Mineral Oil used for treating constipation can cause a deficiency of Vitamin K.


Allergic reactions can occur in adults from the use of supplements of Vitamin K. Such symptoms include flushing of the face, rashes and gastrointestinal upset.  Visit a doctor if you feel you may be experiencing any of these symptoms.

In infants, Vitamin K supplements are used to prevent blood clotting, but an overdose of Vitamin K can occur and, should this occur, emergency treatment should be sought immediately. One possible side effect of too much Vitamin K in infants is a condition known as haemolytic anaemia. The appearance of a yellow skin tone, indicating jaundice, can also indicate a Vitamin K overdose. It could be a symptom of Hyperbilirubinemia, where there is too much bilirubin in the blood stream.


How much Vitamin K is recommended?

The recommended daily allowance (RDA) includes the total amount of vitamin K you should include in your diet and from other sources. Most people consume enough vitamin K from their normal diets.




Recommended Dietary Allowance


0-6 months

5 micrograms/day


6-12 months

10 micrograms/day



15 micrograms/day



20 micrograms/day



30 micrograms/day



45 micrograms/day



55 micrograms/day



60 micrograms/day


Women 25 +

65 micrograms/day


Women, pregnant or breastfeeding

65 micrograms/day



65 micrograms/day



70 micrograms/day


25 +

80 micrograms/day


It is because a Vitamin K overdose is unusual and quite difficult to achieve that researchers have not set a maximum safe dose, thus it is advisable to stay within the recommended daily allowance to avoid consuming too much vitamin K.




Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.